Main Navigation

Home Drones on Campus

Drone Flight Requests

The University of Utah campus is a high-traffic area, utilized by numerous entities including an extensive hospital network and emergency medical helicopter operations (Air Med, Life Flight, etc.). As such, managing the use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) on campus is a vitally important part of ensuring the safety of our campus community, as well as the patients and medical professionals who fly to and from campus sporadically each day, as emergency services dictate.

As a result of this high activity, the University requests a thorough and well-coordinated process in approving the use of UAS on and around campus. In accordance with this commitment to safety, approvals for operating an UAS on campus are given on a case-by-case basis with the proper notification of UPD, Air Med and campus stakeholders.

Pilots approved for drone usage on campus must be aware of privacy issues regarding patients being treated at any of the hospitals and clinics on campus as well as the privacy of campus residents. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) ensures patients control over their medical information – including where and when they were treated. Any patient appearing in photos or video must have signed a release form if they can be identified.

The form at the end of this page will guide you through the approval process and ensure that the pilot seeking to operate an UAS on campus is licensed, compliant with FAA guidelines and attends to the necessary alert procedures to ensure a safe flight, posing no risk or interference to medical flight activity or other events on campus.

The University of Utah has licensed drone pilots available for hire at a starting rate of $125/hour as well as an application process by which requests for flight permission can be made through this page. If you have questions, contact the Auxiliary Business Development Office at (801-585-1634).

Drone Flight Requests

Flight requests must be submitted at least 48 hours prior to your planned flight. You will receive notification when your request is approved or denied with a request number. Save your request number as you will need to reference it when you coordinate with AirMed on the day of your flight. If you have questions, please contact Auxiliary Business Development Office at (801-585-1634).


Drone Pilot Requests

The Univieristy has licensed drone pilots available for hire starting at $125/hr. Requests for pilots should be made two-weeks prior to your intended flight. Once you have submitted the form below a pilot will reach out to you to coordinate details and to learn more about your project. Please contact the Auxiliary Business Development Office at 801-585-1634 if you have any questions.



I’m an off campus entity, can I operate a UAS on campus?

Yes, with proper notification. All UAS operations must notify UPD (801-585-COPS (2677)), Air Med (801-581-2500), and Life Flight (801-321-3333) 30 minutes prior to flight and request permission to take-off and land on campus using the flight request form below. Pilots using UAS for commercial purposes must be licensed and have a valid certificate of insurance (COI).


1. Fill out and submit UAS flight request form

2. Call University Police Dispatch 30 minutes before flight (801-585-COPS (2677))

3. Call the AirMed flight operations center 30 minutes before flight and at the conclusion of your flight (801-581-2500)

4. Call Life Flight Flight Center 30 minutes before flight, 801-321-3333

5. Confirm environmental compliance with FAA standards. (

6. Confirm you are not invading "no-fly zones". (

7. Review and confirm compliance with Small UAS Rule (Part 107). (

8. Download and install B4UFLY Mobile App for up-to-date flight rules and regulations. (

9. Any questions about FAA rules and regulations visit

10. Notify all applicable agencies as outlined by the FAA based on your flight path (air traffic control centers, air ports, local authorities, etc.)

11. If you are a third-party pilot (not affiliated with the university), you will need a valid certificate of insurance to use your UAS on campus.


All of our departments are standing by to help you accomplish your goals. Contact us today to get started on your next project.